School of Sanctuary
We are a School of Sanctuary
Newman Catholic College is a School of Sanctuary. We are a school that is committed to being a safe and welcoming place for all, especially those seeking sanctuary. This could be people whose lives were in danger in their own country, who have troubles at home or are just looking for a space of safety. We are also recognised as a Refugee Welcome School.
- Educate about why people are forcibly displaced.
- Recognise that the UK is enriched by new arrivals.
- Support pupils from all backgrounds to feel seen, supported and included.
We have tradition of welcoming and supporting students from sanctuary-seeking backgrounds and continue to receive them today. With over 60 different languages and nationalities in our school, we believe our students need to learn about these issues in order to understand their local communities and the wider world better.
What are we doing to raise awareness and support?
- Our PSHE lessons have explored what it means to be a School of Sanctuary
- Social, Moral, Spiritual and Cultural education emphasises Newman Values and ‘British Values’
- We are building a school culture that reduces intolerance, hate speech and bullying. We have an Anti Bullying Council.
- We have increased pupil voice with our weekly Student Council meetings
- We promote active & engaged citizenship through volunteering opportunities and our work with London Citizens.
- We have a designated Refugee Coordinator and a Child Looked after coordinator who both engage with refugee families and students in care
- The school has a positive role in the local community
- We have improved the provision of English as an additional language in school so that students newly arrived in the UK can improve their proficiency in order to access the mainstream curriculum
- We recognise celebrations like ‘International Women’s Day’, ‘Black History Month’ and Ramadan, Eid, Diwali
- A banner on the school fence recognises we are a Refugee Welcome school
- We hold a Summer camp to support our EAL, Refugee, Asylium Seeking and Vulnerable students every year
- We run a weekly Foodbank to support our vulnerable families and those with no recourse to public funds
Our latest accreditation Feedback....
"Your application evidenced a clear ongoing commitment as a school to sanctuary values and fulfillment of the eight minimum criteria, I am therefore delighted to confirm your reaccreditation as a School of Sanctuary. A huge congratulations for all of your ongoing efforts and achievements. Newman Catholic College is truly a unique institution that goes above and beyond to support your students and wider community and foster a culture of belonging and respect. Again, let me say congratulations to the NCC family and a huge well done for your continued efforts. I'm so pleased we can celebrate you as a School of Sanctuary once again!" Megan Greenwood, Schools of Sanctuary Coordinator